Monday, February 13, 2017

HELLO PARENTS AND STUDENTS!!!!!!

Greetings Students, Parents, and Families of Brandon Academy:

My name is Rashaan Foster, the new Director of College Guidance, Dean of Students, and Athletic Director at Brandon Academy. It is my privilege and honor to join the BA family. I want to take the time to thank Mr. Robert Rudolph, Dr. Tricia Rudolph, Mr. Brian Galzerano and Ms. Sondra Cliggitt for this tremendous opportunity. I look forward to introducing myself in person. For now, let me tell you a little bit about my background.

I live in Orlando, and yes I will be making that trip every day for years to come! I have a beautiful wife, Liz Foster, who is an administrator at a local K-8 Private School. I also have a lovely and bright 14-year-old daughter, who is an 8th-grade honor student at a charter school in Orlando.

I have been involved in education since the age of 19 when I started in the Osceola County School District as an Extended Day Site Lead in 1996. I was the youngest employee in district history to hold a supervisory position. With a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education (Florida teaching certificate) and a Master's degree in Counseling, I have worn many hats in my successful, 20-year career in both public and private schools. I have worked my way up from a substitute teacher to a classroom teacher to a lead teacher, then to a guidance counselor, athletic director and assistant principal.

I have served as a Guidance Counselor, Grant Writer, Athletic Director, and Assistant Principal over the last eight years at a private school in Orlando. Last year, 88% of my seniors were accepted into college. Out of that, 50% of them went to a four-year university. This year, 100% of my seniors will attend college and 75% of them have been accepted to a four-year university. This is an amazing accomplishment because most of our students were from troubled and lower socioeconomic backgrounds, with very little parental support. I focused on teaching those students interviewing skills, resume writing, test preparation, career planning and hours of counseling to get them through this critical stage of their life. I also helped my students get over $50,000 in scholarships over a two-year period.

As a grant writer, I was able to raise thousands of dollars for programs that bettered the school and the surrounding communities. I plan on using my resources to help support the Brandon community and the great programs at Brandon Academy.

Since we will be an official FHSAA member next school year, I am hoping to add more sports, provide athletic training, attend camps and clinics, hire quality coaches, and take our athletic program to new levels. As a coach, I'm a two-time, Florida Christian Conference State Championship High School Girls’ basketball coach. I was also fortunate to play and win a National Championship in Tennessee. If you would like to see some articles from my championship runs, the links are below.

http://www.orangeobserver.com/article/new-coach-has-eagles-girls-hoops-flying-high http://www.aroundosceola.com/?p=15002

http://www.aroundosceola.com/?p=6176

I am looking forward to working with students, staff, and parents on the college admissions process, standardized testing, financial aid, scholarships and all the fun higher learning activities that will become a reality as our high school grows over the next several years.

I have an open door policy, and I'm available whenever you need me. If you have any questions or concerns please email me at rfoster@brandon-academy.com. I want to personally thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I can't wait to meet you all.

Cordially,

Rashaan Foster, MABC.

Director of College Guidance/Dean of Students/Athletic Director





No comments:

Post a Comment